• Protein: eggs, cheap cuts of meat, canned or frozen fish, dried or canned beans, peas and lentils, tofu
• Dairy: yogurt, milk, cottage cheese
• Grains: rice, pasta, oats, barley, couscous
• Fruits (choose seasonal): bananas, apples, pears, grapes, oranges, frozen berries
• Vegetables (choose seasonal): potatoes, carrots, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, canned tomatoes, frozen peas
As well as understanding which foods are healthy, filling and budget-friendly, it’s also helpful to follow a few of the tips below to ensure you’re stretching your budget as far as it will go:
1. Plan your meals: one of the best ways to keep costs low is to plan your meals around budget-friendly ingredients. When you plan ahead, you not only cut down on food waste, you also avoid impulse-buying when you’re hungry and have nothing planned.
2. Buy own brand products: not only are they cheaper but all food manufacturers must follow the same food standards, so they’re just as nutritious and often a similar quality, too.
3. Buy in bulk, but only on the items you’ll use: bulk buying can be a great way of stocking up for less, but be sure to avoid overspending on things you won’t use.
4. Shop for seasonal produce: make a list of what season your favourite produce is at its best and then stock up. It’ll taste amazing and cost far less.
5. Bring your own lunch: buying lunch out can rack up quickly when you’re trying to be careful with money. By simply planning ahead and bringing lunch with you, you’d be amazed at just how much you can save week to week.
6. Pack snacks: snacking can really catch you out both in the health and cost department. Make a list of healthy snacks you enjoy such as veggie sticks and hummus, popcorn, energy bars, nuts etc and make sure you always have some to hand.
healthy-budget-guides-5109c389″>Our best healthy budget guides
1. Healthy budget recipes
Being healthy on a budget doesn’t have to be hard. Try our easy recipes that are rich in nutritious ingredients and great flavour. Enjoy our lightly spiced chicken, leek & brown rice stir-fry, nourishing spinach falafel & hummus bowl and super smoky bacon & tomato spaghetti.
2. Top 10 healthy budget dinners
No need to break the bank with these budget-friendly dinner ideas for every taste. See our top-rated healthy recipes including vegan and veggie options such as double bean chilli and curried cod.
3. Top 10 healthy store cupboard recipes
Discover our nutritious, budget-friendly meals which make the most of simple storecupboard ingredients such as tinned tomatoes, cans of beans and dried pasta.
4. Top 10 storecupboard superfoods to try
If you’re making a concerted effort to be healthier, stocking your cupboards with some health-boosting basics should be your first step. Add these items to your pantry and get creative with our nourishing recipe suggestions…
Try more budget-friendly ideas
Top 10 healthy budget dinners
Easy budget-friendly smoothie recipes
One week of budget-friendly dinners
Budget meals for one
Easy budget meals for two
Quick & budget family meals
10 budget family chicken recipes
10 easy budget family meals
Is there something else you’d like to know about eating healthy on a budget? Let us know your questions in the comments section below.
- Keeping your roses healthy with these pruning and fertilizing tips – Redlands Daily Facts
- ADPH provides tips for Healthy and Safe Swimming Week
- Try these tips for effective meal planning in the age of healthy eating
- Get healthy and stay healthy in 2023 with these 5 tips
- Social media use is taking a toll kids' mental health. These 8 tips for parents can help